Why 2000 Carrots?

Why 2000 Carrots?
Carrot seeds often come in packs of 2,000.
Quote from the Missus "Two thousand carrots - what am I going to do with that lot? - Well I suppose I could make cakes!"
Cakes rock!

Saturday 21 May 2011

Wigwams and Tunnels

It was with some trepidation that I realised the time had come to tackle the obligatory landmark on allotments and veggie gardens everywhere – the runner bean tunnel.   We walked around the allotments and spied on the standing structures, of which there were many, to get an idea of how best to construct the monument.  This calmed my fears rather as it appeared that everyone had done it differently and with varying rigidity, although they were all still standing and would do the job for the summer.
We built a tunnel out of 8ft canes and it stands proud and firm, planting 2 plants at the base of each cane.  Success.


Disaster - we were given some more plants, generally a good thing! But now we had to tackle the wigwam.  Fortunately out of the back on MIL’s tardis shed came a weird plastic thingy which forms the top of the wigwam and after a relatively short time we had a cane wigwam fit for beans.  Not too shabby a job if I say so myself!  Two beans at the bottom of each pole again and protected by plastic bottles - they are doing nicely.
Now we even have flowers – beans, hopefully, to follow!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment