Why 2000 Carrots?

Why 2000 Carrots?
Carrot seeds often come in packs of 2,000.
Quote from the Missus "Two thousand carrots - what am I going to do with that lot? - Well I suppose I could make cakes!"
Cakes rock!

Saturday 21 May 2011

A stinking good deal

With no sign of our garden centre purchased garlic cloves sprouting I decided to plant up some of the organic garlic from Morrisons we use at home in cooking.  One pack of two cloves cost a whole 60p as opposed to the £2.50 pack from the garden centre.  I broke up the bulbs and crammed all 23 cloves into a pot.  Watered well and waited.  Within a couple of days there were shoots showing and within a couple of weeks they we in desperate need of planting on.  I put them direct into the plot and am pleased to report that every single clove sprouted and is doing well.  23 new garlic plants for 60p – gotta be a bargain!
Only a couple of weeks old - the plants of this size
 sell for £1.99 each.
Someone knows how to make a profit!
There seems to be lots of controversy about planting from the supermarket, especially with potatoes – should you plant out the sprouting spuds from the back of the cupboards or not.  (Mr Titchmarsh said you must not use them)  I guess the jury is out until I gather my garlic crops but I suspect I know what I think about planting supermarket garlic now!

No comments:

Post a Comment