Why 2000 Carrots?

Why 2000 Carrots?
Carrot seeds often come in packs of 2,000.
Quote from the Missus "Two thousand carrots - what am I going to do with that lot? - Well I suppose I could make cakes!"
Cakes rock!

Saturday 21 May 2011

The Blue Peter Experience


We have a new crop on our patch and it seems to be spreading fast around the allotments. 

I knew all of those years watching Blue Peter would come in handy.  We have been collecting plastic bottles for a few weeks now and it is amazing how they add up, especially once friends and family chip in.  There are a myriad of uses for every part of the bottle – bar the cap but I am sure that will come!



First we cut off the tops, bottoms and slice down the side to make seedling protectors which have certainly done their job against the fierce winds on our open site.




Next cutting off just the bottoms and burying, neck up they are used to supply water directly to the roots of individual plants.




Bottles growing as far as the eye can see!
The whole thing can be used on the top of a cane, not as we thought to prevent poking your eye out when bending over, but actually as a bird scarer, rattling in the gales breeze.  Although not going blind is also a plus!



I have heaps of bottle bottoms left over with about half an inch of bottle attached so I guess these would work nicely as mini cloches for seedlings, especially on pots, although we have not tried this yet.
Valerie Singleton would be proud of me!

No comments:

Post a Comment